Monday, March 5, 2007

Upgrade from Tools Release 8.95.P1 to 8.96.xx

Ok, I have been caught a number of different times thinking that a process was going to be "easy" and had it turn into a knock-down, drag-out, 3-week battle to get E1 to do what I wanted it to do. So, when researching what it was going to take to upgrade from Tools Release (TR) 8.95.P1 to 8.96 I figured I would go the extra mile and submit a case to Oracle's support.

Wow, was I shocked to learn that it was the same process that I have used in the past to upgrade one-offs (ex. 8.95.M1 to 8.95.P1)! Not bad. I've done this many times. However, there is one catch, I will have to install IBM Websphere 6.0 and scrap my IBM WAS 5.0. Hey, no problem. I was at Oracle's Open World last fall and sat through a full day of training for that.

So, now I asked one of our WinTel server guys to create a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 on our VMWare server. Once that is done, I will install IBM WAS 6.0. Then upgrade the deployment server so that I can use both TRs and configure the Enterprise Server to have Pristine run 8.96.xx and start testing.

Oh, if you are not using "Multiple Foundations", you are definitely making things harder than they have to be. I'll post a comment about that soon.

Have Fun!

0 comments: